View Single Post
Old 09-11-2007, 09:34 AM

Default Re: Is \"Overplaying Aces\" A Myth

All kinds of good comments made above, and I think the most important one to keep tucked away in most player's minds is that you can 'overplay' any hand. In other words, always be aware of where you are in the hand and willing to release likely losers -whether you wnat to take a stab with them or not.

A few comments - although I play a lot of h/l from heads up to full ring, I stand by my statement that I make more money per hand with AA than any other 2 card combo - by far.

That may be because I ahved gotten better at laying them down when I should, and continuing with them when others would give up.

I do mix up my play with them much more than I used to - and have broadened my open raising hands considerably, as well as 3 betting various combos much more often.

Two things that work well in online h/l are 1. aggression, and 2. varying your play/disguising your hand.

As Tex stated about his play, I too have learned to be able to lay down ugly AA hands OOP facing multiple bets, or even OOP knowing that I ahve aggressive players following me in the hand.

I also realize my original post may have made it seem as though I see AA as a hand on it's own - which I dont, and of course I'd rather have at least one A suited, and at least 1 wheel card when going to battle - I just mean that there are many ways that various AA hands can win some or all of a pot, and the pots can be substantial.

Buzz - you know the game, and you know the math, but I would sooner take my chances with AA65 with a suited A, than with A49Q with a suited A - in a full ring game.

Is any A4 suited combo much ahead of an AA5 suited A combo? - or just fractional?

Also, one point I intended to make was that by being able to play so many AA hands very aggressively you can take down pots without showing down, which also adds to the win total per hand average because of this scoop potential.

Aside to Fishyak - in the hand above, am I reading the cards wrong, or did you lose to quad tens?