View Single Post
Old 11-28-2007, 06:20 AM

Default Re: This is why I\'m for the death penalty.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
FWIW, i'm suprised so many people here think it is good for the state to murder people.

[/ QUOTE ]

As murder is the unlawful killing of a human being I dont think there are anyone here that think that is good.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've learned not to go too for down that road. There are a certain number of people who do not have the capability to understand that while killing is usually wrong, there are exceptions where it is not only justifiable, but necessary.

Whether the death penalty is one of those times is up in the air for debate, and whether zasterguava is one of those without the capability to understand sometimes killing is morally acceptable, and necessary for the good of yourself or society I don't know, but I'm just saying this as a general statement.

[/ QUOTE ]

I did not divulge at all in to my personal opinion on the (state) death penalty- was just making an observation. My personl opinion is that the state should not murder people; though there are exceptions e.g legitimate wars. However, I think history serves me well in showig that the state should not conduct murder against percieved threats to society and that there are better deterrents and practical ways to curb these probelms.

To the person who said that the death penalty is not murder because it is not unlawfull... you may like to note that in the UK the act to abolish the death penalty was called The MURDER Act of 1965. I'm pretty sure the death of 5 milltion Jews in Germany was murder; or because it was lawful as dictated by head of state it wasn't murder? Im guessing you refer to unlawful as 'not conforming to legality' as if you refer to 'moral law' then it doesn;t make sense because as demonstrated here the percepton of morality is completely ambiguous and unique to the indivudual.

I actually sympathise with a traditional anarchist (whoes name escpaes me) who argues that the death penalty of murderers could be just in an anarchist/ fair society providing the fate of the murderer is decided by those involved/ directly effected and conducted in a legitimate manner. But in honesty I understand this is hardly relevent to current society and current discussion.

But yeah, capital punishment is abhorent and immoral to summarise.