View Single Post
Old 11-28-2007, 01:06 AM

Default Re: new football league (chris leak)??

trying to tie this in with the available area alumni players and sometimes playing in the same stadium actually gives this kind of league a chance I suspect.

I really think a minor-league brand of outdoor football has a really tough struggle but this group seems to have some decent ideas.
Pushing this stuff on the season-ticket base at Florida and Michigan, etc could actually do an okay job of bringing fans out to the stadium.

One problem with XFL and other minor-leagues is that it's just the best players they can get but the fans have mostly never heard of them and they are supposed to start buying that now these are 'their' guys and should be cheering for them.

But by tapping into the alumni base you are taking advantage of the extreme loyalty these fans have towards their former players who they already have fond memories of cheering for.

It's really a great way to go about it.

Still a huge huge uphill battle though but I really might end up pulling for these guys if they can actually get it off the ground.

Not sure about the whole idea of broadcasting the games on some weird private network just to keep them commercial free. I think that could hurt more than help. People are used to TV time-outs at live games and also watching on TV.
I don't think attendance will be dramatically increased just because they brag, "No TV Timeouts!!!"

The league appears to be planning on teams for Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Michigan, Tennesse, Texas.