Thread: I love beer
View Single Post
Old 11-21-2007, 09:22 AM

Default Re: I love beer

[ QUOTE ]
Ok, d bag, that was my intent, not at all...

Much better as a draft, however

[/ QUOTE ]
I haven't seen their brewery, and they do put out more barrels/yr than any other brewhouse I've seen, but I'd still say that the beer that goes into the bottles is the exact same as the beer that goes into the kegs. It just doesn't make sense from an efficiency standpoint to have separate setups, from mash tun to bright tank, for separate types of packaging. I've got the contact info for one of their brewers, so I can ask him if the bottling is done off of dedicated bright tanks or something.

In any case, there are a couple possibilities more likely for the perceived difference. First, if you're drinking straight from the bottle, you're never getting most to all of the nose. That would make a draft seem much fresher and more "alive." A second possibility is if you've got a favorite bar you usually drink your SN at. If they aren't good about cleaning out their lines, then the build up of gunk between keg and tap can lend a distinctive flavor to the beer, so when you have "clean" SN, it tastes off to you.

But it's almost definitely the same beer either way.