View Single Post
Old 04-25-2007, 06:56 PM

Default Re: What makes the US Govt trustworthy?

[ QUOTE ]
I trust my friends to do right by me and not stab me in the back, because I know them to be trustworthy and they're my friends.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think so - you're guessing that they value your friendship enough to not stab you in the back. You may be right and I hope you're right. But dressing it up as some sort of special covenant between soulmates is self-deceiving (IMO - obviously it's working for you so long as your friends don't surprise you.)

[ QUOTE ]
I trust pokerstars to send me my money back when i ask for it, because they have demonstrated trustworthiness and it's in their best interest (I don't know Lee Jones personally).

[/ QUOTE ]

That's not "trust", that's a financial transaction with benefits to each side. How romantic.

[ QUOTE ]
I don't trust the US government to, say, keep their promises to repay their Social Security obligations (or the regular debt for that matter) because they have demonstrated unstrustworthiness AND the incentives are not there that make it in their best interest to keep their word. (I don't know them personally either).

[/ QUOTE ]

What would happen if parameters changed so that Poker Stars would benefit by keeping your money. Will your "trust" be enough to get your $s?