View Single Post
Old 04-04-2007, 01:29 PM

Default Re: Psychoactive drugs - whats your position on them?

Perhaps the most important subject that hasn't been discussed is responsible use. Irresponsible use of a pair of scissors can lead to manslaughter, but that doesn't mean there is a causal link there. Just because there is a lot of negative connotation about drug use doesn't mean the scientific process can be bypassed.

For example I can find absolutely no factual evidence to back up the following claims;

[ QUOTE ]
Re neurotoxicity of amphetamines, I think regular use is harmful, which is why I'm violently opposed to doctors forcing Ritalin and equivalents into the brains of million of kids.

[/ QUOTE ]

Amphetamines are endogenic and without a doubt non neurotoxic in typical doses. Their harmful effects arise from the stimulant nature of the drug.

[ QUOTE ]
I find little evidence of bad neural damage in the short term for common doses. Long term or big doses, sure. But I maintain that the risk of one joint is far greater than meth for a teenager. One impairs your cognitive abilities slightly. The other significantly increases your chances of spending your life in the earth equivalent of hell.

[/ QUOTE ]

This just shows blatant lack of understanding. Amphetamines most certainly do not cause impaired judgement. They cause heightened alertness. The US Air Force has been giving amphetamines, affectionately called "go pills", to its pilots for decades because it has been proven to increase rational response in stressful situations, decrease reaction time and completely abolish fatigue. Yet it is one of the most addictive substances known. Classifying marijuana as a greater threat to the average person than amphetamines just shows how your personal experience has skewed your perception.

[ QUOTE ]
Not really. These are parasites that form cysts in your brain, and are thought to produce THC-like toxins to alter your brain chemistry.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just can't find anything to back this up. Cingle celled organisms very rarely create complex hydrocarbons, much less cannabinoids. As far as I can tell this statement is completely fabricated.