View Single Post
Old 01-24-2007, 10:14 PM

Default Re: Ask TheMetetron about living in or visiting Buenos Aires, Argentin

[ QUOTE ]
Did you line up a permanent apartment before you went there? Or did you stay somewhere temporarily first (a hotel or whatever)? If you had the apartment before you showed up, how did you know what neighborhood you wanted to live in?

What hoops do you have to jump through if you want to play on Party/ use Neteller/ do other things that Americans can't do anymore? What did poker sites do to make sure that you were giving them a real address?

Do they have any American sports on cable TV channels?

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually had my apartments lined up for the first 7 months I will be here. I sort of lucked into getting the perfect location that I would have wanted had I known more. I just made sure I was staying in Recoleta and it was sort of hard to screw up.

I'd recommend getting a place for one month in Recoleta or Palermo. Then explore the city and see what area you like best. From there you can get a longer rental somewhere else and even see the place before you commit.

I lived in Sweden before living in Buenos Aires, so I've been able to play on every site for a while. Most sites want a scan of your passport and an electricity bill or lease agreement with your name and address on it. Party will even cross-check your IP the email is coming from to make sure you are in the right country you say you are and they also check your IP when you long on.

I fund my accounts with my Swiss bank account via bank wire. I'm trying to figure out how I want to fund my party account at the moment but I think I'm going to need to order a Visa from my bank and do it that way as they get upset I live in Argentina yet want to use a bank in Switzerland.

For TV, there are a bunch of different levels of programming. I get VH1, CNN, MTV, ESPN, and a few other American channels. You could probably get the whole lineup if you are willing to pay enough. Usually cable is included in your apartment price, but you may be able to upgrade. Using a slingbox or other such device is another way to watch American TV if you are so inclined. I usually just stick to [censored]. I don't really care, but it won't get you sports.

Also, for sports, you may as well get used to lots and lots of soccer. That's the only sport you are going to hear people talk about and see constantly on TV. But it is for a good reason, Argentina is actually pretty damn good.