View Single Post
Old 10-31-2007, 12:59 PM

Default Re: The APPT Macau: The First Texas Hold’em Poker Tournament in China!

[ QUOTE ]
I went into my local post office this morning and they said they can expedite and I would have it most likely in two weeks. Is this just something everyone at the post office will say when you ask about expediting it? I will not be able to travel to the nearest regional office so I either will have to trust my local post office or try out the travisa website.

Also if I do end up getting my passport, I will be flying from Minneapolis to Tokyo, then Tokyo to Hong Kong, will I need a visa when I make this stop in Tokyo?

thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

I got this in an e-mail from my travel agent yesterday:

The time recommended for processing a U.S. passport went from six to eight weeks to 10 to 12 weeks for routine passport applications, and from no more than three weeks to four weeks for expedited service.

From what I know, people have had to cancel trips this year because it's been that difficult to get their passport. For me personally, I wouldn't risk using expedited.

You won't need a visa to change planes in the Tokyo airport. You don't need a visa for Hong Kong or Maucau.

As to the ferry to Macau, it looks like it will be too late for direct transfer to a ferry at the airport, (Skypier - without going through customs in Hong Kong.) See here and here.

Turbojet seems to have night ferries to Macau, but their website isn't clear on where they depart from. My guess would be the HK Ferry Terminal in Tsimshatsui. If that's the case, I'd book for at least couple hours after flight arrival in Hong Kong in order to get through customs, get bags, train or taxi to Kowloon. In fact, I'd give myself three hours after flight arrival.

Edit: It's looks like Turbojet has a transfer desk at the Hong Kong airport.

P.S. If you already left your passport documents with the post office for processing, it's probably already too late to use a visa service. If you're considering using a service, read through the instructions on their website.