View Single Post
Old 05-14-2007, 04:15 PM

Default Re: **uNL Concept of the week: Week 5, Reverse Implied Odds**

agreed.... seems like we never got anywhere beyond identifying that we find ourselves in these spots more often then we probably would like to admit.

Is it an unavoidable scenario that occurs when trying to make the most correct plays and make your opps make the biggest mistakes?

Personally, I think it comes down to two things (apologies if this is elementary but at least im taking a step to flush this out further):

1. your ability to put villain on a likely range given how he has played the hand.

2. and identifying RIO situations PF and on Flop and taking a line that allows you to make easier decisions when confronted with the RIO threat.

I think one good point that was made earlier ties in with my first point, that being against unknowns err on the side of folding.

On that 789r flop w JJ and we get minR I think we need a strong read of villain to invest much more money in this hand. Against an unknown i think it is better to lean towards a fold on turn when faced with further aggression unless of course a T hits.

Also, this probably goes without saying, but it would seem that we get into RIO situations a lot more often OOP. As a general rule I sort of naturally play hands more passively after the turn OOP and again will more likely lean towards a fold then if i were IP.

I think RIO is a much more "all-encompassing" idea than the other concepts previously discussed. I'm wondering if the size of this idea and countless applications is the reason this topic is the least explained and explored of these threads.