View Single Post
Old 11-26-2007, 10:13 PM

Default Re: 17 way chop - was it a good decision

Wow, I think all posters so far have ignored the most central issue when it comes to chops in live (low limit) tournaments:

How meaningful is the offered amount?

Since OP is playing a $25 tourney I take it $240 is relatively meaningful to him. If you are capable of taking for instance max $50 out of your monthly budget to play poker (and you don't have a roll) cashing $240 is BIG.

You can't just start up another live tournament when you bust out, and you can't play more than one at a time. Most non-pro players rarely play more than one or two live tourneys per month.

This strongly emphasizes the need to level the variance by making deals; with 5.5BB there's very little skill left, and it's not like doubling up is any guarantee that you'll reach the top 4.

BTW: A $5 vig in a $20 + $5 live tournament is a bargain. I've seen live $15 + $10 tourneys, and happily played $25 + $10 tourneys at Joker's Wild in Henderson. If you want to enjoy the experience of playing live you just have to accept, that the dealer's and TD's salary has to come from somewhere. This is not a computer dealing online with you sitting at home ... there's substantial overhead. Becuase of this nobody right in their minds play low limit live tournaments for profit - but it's a fun experience, and if you can't afford a $200 + $25 tourney there's no reason not to play this.