View Single Post
Old 11-14-2007, 12:47 PM

Default Re: starting hands only with + ev

Hi.

I used this when I started playing NL. It was written by Excession (I think hes still around here someware) and posted on Bet The Pot. I think this might still be a good starting point.

Hope it helps
// M

On a 25/50c Party $25 NL Table:
You make standard raises of $2 ($3 if 2+ limpers or from EP) with any of AA,KK,QQ,JJ and AK from any position. You call any minimum or standard raise with these except that you re-raise by another $5 if you have AA or KK.
You will also call a minimum or standard raise with any pair looking to hit a set on the flop provided at least one of the relevant stacks are $25+ (you are always $25+ because you buy back up to is as soon as you drop below). You are sufficiently tight to fold AQ, AJ etc rather than cold-call a raise with them.
You will also raise from LP if folded/limped to with hands like AQ,AJ, KQ, TT, 99. If you are checked to on the flop by one or two players you will make one pot-sized bet (or sized if no flush draw on board) even if you miss with these hands, but if called again you will shut up shop. This is the only time you bluff.
You will see cheap flops from MP and LP with marginal hands including Ax s and suited connectors - but are strict with yourself about fitting or folding. If you flop a draw you will see a free card if you can but if you are in LP and checked to by the others you will bet out half to three quarters of the pot as a semi-bluff.
If someone re-raises your top pair or two pair all-in you are prepared to let it go unless you have half your stack already in the pot. Otherwise you will bet these hands out down to the river unless a flush card drops in or the board is showing one card needed for a straight, in which case you shut up shop and fold to any significant bet.

This is pretty much ABC poker for these limits. I know it works OK as Ive been playing in at the Party 25s for 6 months and my roll has trebled in that time.