Thread: Sicko Revisited
View Single Post
Old 11-18-2007, 03:38 PM

Default Re: Sicko Revisited

I saw the movie. Didnt change my views.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm also curious to all the people against the concept; of the countries featured on the DVD (Canada, Cuba, France, Norway (#1 for Healthcare) and even many 3rd world countries)... many of these countries supply universal healthcare and there people have better health standards then the US. How do you explain

[/ QUOTE ]

For starters the idea the America has a free market in health is the biggest mistake of the film.

For two you forget those countries free ride of American techonlogy, innovation and price systems.

For three, i dont know of any poor countries that provide a successful universal system and aren't going broke. This rich ones are sacrificing their growth and producitivity potential too.

For four, your idea that the stats look better for those countries ignores many hidden costs. Many people die due to lack of diagnosis or awaiting treatment in these countries. Everyone being covered tells you nothing about the oveall quality of care. There is many examples in this category as to how these stats appear to look good in some places but are very deceptive as to what's happening on the ground.

Another thing is these countries also suffer from brain drains. Many of the best and brightest get exported to countries that reward their work the best.

Lastly is the countries aren't offering universal health care. They only offer insurance to those in their nation. This causes them to tighten immigration standards and be restrictive to access to these types of benefits. If you were to ask why dont they supply health to the world, they would say they can't afford it. I dare you to look at America's wealth versus obligations and conlcude that they can afford to fully cover their nation's population.

much more to say. just a start