View Single Post
Old 11-27-2007, 07:16 PM

Default Re: Raise/limp AK, AQ, AJ?

[ QUOTE ]
I've had a lot of trouble playing AK, AQ, and AJ when I don't hit. Since most of the 3/6 live games have 5-6 players to the flop, what's the best strategy?

[/ QUOTE ]

It depends on things like the actual cards on the flop and what kind of opponents you are up against. The more opponents I have who tend to lead out on the flop if they hit, the more likely I am to c-bet if it's checked to me when I miss, for example.

[ QUOTE ]

I thought about raising preflop and checking on missed flops (both IP and OOP), or simply limping more in EP to encourage hands like ace rag to stay in.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't hate the idea of sometimes limping in EP, especially if you are at a table that starts to respect your EP raises. I've also been thinking about not raising as often when I have a couple of relatively tight passive players in ahead of me who are limping with hands like AK and QQ and folding hands like 76o and A8o.

[ QUOTE ]

Obviously, if I flop a nut flush draw to go with my hand, I'll gladly cap the pot; however, when flops like 10 j 4 hit, I have the most trouble. Do I c-bet hoping to take a free turn card? Lean towards checking against aggressive opponents?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you have a hand like AK or AQ on that flop, you have a hand that has no problem calling a raise if you bet. (You'd probably want to fold, though, if you bet and it gets capped before the betting comes back around to you.) You should usually bet, and if you miss, you shouldn't always take a free card on the turn.

[ QUOTE ]

How often should I call a turn bet with only overcards in multiway pots, and how much do I have to worry about being reversely dominted? (assuming I close the action)

[/ QUOTE ]

That depends on the size of the pot and the hand ranges of your opponents doing the betting. SSHE uses a method of discounted outs in determining your odds to account for the possibility that your overcard pair draw outs are not 100% clean. If you do hit one of your outs, you might not want to raise if certain players bet into you.