View Single Post
Old 10-28-2007, 07:11 PM

Default Home office furniture recommendations?

I currently use a kitchen table for my desk. This is super functional, since it gives me a big, flat, uninterrupted surface.

There's two problems with this.

1) the apron around the bottom of the table plus the beveled edge make it hard to use clamp-on lamps, monitor arms, etc.

2) my wife wants me to get something more "professional" looking.

I work full time out of my house, but I don't see clients at home. She just wants something more classy.

I'd like to find something in the same vein as a kitchen table, with legs, no drawers. A big plus would be something that has matching storage (lateral file cabinets + hutch-type bookshelves, for example). My current table is 6" wide, which is nice, but I don't really *need* something that long. The table is very DEEP, though, whcih I really like since I can put a decent amount of space between me and the screen.

The $$$ is not really that big of a concern. I'm definitely looking for serious, high-quality furniture, not any crappy officemax particleboard stuff.

I'm not too picky about finishes, though I prefer dark-stained wood over something painted.

Recommendations? I don't even know who carries good stuff like this.

I did see this "Bedford Work Table" at Poverty Barn:

http://www.potterybarn.com/products/...key=cfurhofdsk

This looks pretty much like something that I would have in mind, since it does have matching file cabinets and shelving, and the desk itself is just legs+flat top and it's REALLY DEEP, but it's apparently discontinued - you can get the legs in one finish and the top in another, but no matching set is available. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] The other desks PB has all use big bulky file cabinets as the desktop supports, which is a real turnoff to me.