View Single Post
Old 10-17-2006, 06:26 PM

Default Re: Dealing with a loss (stillbirth)

I can't really add anything to the responses, except to repeat that I am deeply sorry and wish you all the best in the future with any parenting endeavors that you and your wife may plan.

I don't really have much experience with situation, being that I am barely out of highschool, but if there is one thing I can advise, it is to talk. A lot. It seems that now, your friends and family are doing a superb job in providing a comfort zone for you. However, like some have said, many will in time interact with you in the same way they did before the tragedy. Even after a great deal of time passes, if you ever feel bothered at all, you can still talk and I'm sure that your caring family would understand. Never hesitate.

When I was 16, my dad and I noticed some signs of depression in my mom. We talked to her and found out she was still in grief about a stillbirth 16 years earlier. My would-be twin was all she thought about, she said. Talking to us helped her and now she is perfectly healthy. Also, do not hold this information from your kids (and if you think that I am making an assumption, I am not. I have faith that you will indeed have children someday). That incident was the first time that I found out that I was supposed to be a twin, and it hurt me very much, so much so that for a few days I (in retrospect, selfishly) did not help my mom and grieved alone. Tell your kids about this for two reasons. First, they will be hurt if you do not tell them the truth, as I said before, but they can also help comfort you in a way that no family member or friend can.

Once again, my sincerest condolences. Best wishes in all your future parenting attempts.