View Single Post
Old 11-24-2007, 12:23 AM

Default Re: Official November Thread: General Discussion

After reading about Jay.'s mentoring program and specifically the private forum aspect of it, I'm beginning to think this is really the way of the future. I mean it exists partially in IRC and AIM conversations (and may even exist in private forum form for all I know), but not quite fully fledged I don't think.

I have no idea how the logistics of such a thing would work though. I mean I know how to create a private, protected forum and all that jazz but both selection criteria, who does the selection, and how to ensure people are actually posting and being beneficial to the community as a whole are huge problems.

I've long been a believer in a community where everyone shares equally being a great way to improve your poker game - I think the old Mid-High Short-Handed Limit forum a few years back had some of the best poker discussion and taught me more than anything I've done since - but that just isn't becoming feasible in a large public forum where people can read and not contribute; it is causing all of the really good players to not want to share their true thoughts with othersr.

Now I know everyone is thinking F U Metetron you don't give anything back to MSNL and I agree with you. I used to contribute a ton to MH-HUSH back in the day, but I just can't see the incentive to post my biggest secrets and thoughts about poker on 2+2 anymore. And I'm most definitely not the only one. I've talked to some other very good MSNL/HSNL players about this and they agree that they don't see a point in telling the world everything in such a highly competitive game as poker.

But they do see the benefits of a small, tight-knit community sharing everything with each other and bouncing new ideas off of other highly skilled poker players.

There really isn't a point to this post, just a general observation and something I've been thinking about for the last few days. I'm not saying I'm going to create a private forum soon or that I should even be the man to do it, but I definitely can see this happening in the the not too distant future by someone. I guess I'm curious on other's thoughts on this.