View Single Post
Old 10-23-2007, 08:15 AM

Default Re: Benifits of the straddle

[ QUOTE ]
There is a neat trick I saw once. Get a straddle amount and tie it together with a rubber band. Explain to people that whoever wins the next pot from you gets this bundle but should use it to straddle when it's their turn - and whoever wins that pot will get the bundle and should do the same. Sometimes it gets a lot of straddles going, sometimes not.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is known in some circles as a "rock" (no. . .not that kind of rock). In my experience it is very good for action.

I remember being in a game one time where the question was brought up as to whether you could use the "rock" to raise (a minraise) preflop prior to the hand you would be the straddle. The other players at the table who chimed in figured, sure, you COULD do that, but that'd be pretty dumb as you would be giving up your ability to straddle when the time came (God bless those guys).

Straddles are generally great for the game as they encourage action and get people gambooooling. The only times I've ever done it was when I was at a table where the whole table agreed to straddle. We did it for about 4 hours and it was a great game.

Whenever people try to get me to straddle in normal circumstances I usually just say somethin' to the effect that I pulled a hammy playin' basketball and the doc said no straddling for a month.