View Single Post
Old 11-26-2007, 08:55 PM

Default Re: Slate.com on race and IQ

[ QUOTE ]

2. I have previously posted SAT breakdowns offset against a number of socioeconomic characteristics for the four main racial groups. They alone debunk a lot of the author's claims.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course, because we all know the only non-genetic difference between the four main racial groups is income and parental education level (amount of education not quality) . . .

[ QUOTE ]

3. Many of the author's excuses for poor African results work EXACTLY IN REVERSE when applied to the Asian-White differential, including both Asian homelands and immigrants. Either blacks are being massively held back by their circumstances to the tune of 30 IQ points, or Asians are massively smarter than Whites. You choose. I mentioned this above but no one has commented on this elephant in the room.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know the author's entire position, but you are misrepresenting things. He was talking about blacks in the Western world, not Sub Saharan Africans. The IQ difference is only 15 points in the U.S.

[ QUOTE ]

4. Indirect evidence is overwhelming, and needs to be adequately explained by any environment-only theory.

[/ QUOTE ]

I still don't see how you can claim this. Every time an environmental factor is controlled for, the gap diminishes by some amount. Why would you assume that we can control for every factor and that we know everything that goes into intelligence? For example, how do you control for societal expectations?

[ QUOTE ]

5. It's the enviro people irrationally claiming that

- Intelligence doesn't inately differ between races, or, if it does
- Environment >>>>>> Genes. I don't know exactly how Taraz is quantifying his >>>>>>, but it looks a like a lot. Perhaps he gives a few percent to genes. Thing is, this statement is a lot more contrary to the evidence than the one that genes may play a significant part.

[/ QUOTE ]

The reason I am claiming that environment is more important than genes is because I can name off at least 20 factors that wildly affect IQ score that have nothing to do with genetics. If you take people with the exact same genes, you can vary their IQ score by an insane amount simply by raising them in different environments. If I could choose the best possible genes or the best possible environment, it's no contest.

I have never once claimed that genes play no role in intelligence. What I have claimed is that the evidence for a genetic difference in intelligence between races is not conclusive at all and is, IMO, pretty weak.