View Single Post
Old 09-23-2007, 10:24 PM

Default Re: What\'s your scene like?

Damn, dude, I don't think I can beat your setup. That's nice. Mine's more the down 'n dirty sort of thing.

I rent in a house with a detached garage. When I moved in, it was full of junk. The previous owners had converted it to a studio/shop, so there were some partitions and a bathroom. I cleared out all the crap, removed the fluorescents, installed nicer overhead lights, put in some furniture, sound system, 6' movie screen, etc. I haven't done all that I've wanted to because the owners have plans to convert this place into an apartment, and I'm suffering from the limbo of "oh, we're going to start that next month, promise" ... for a year and a half now. Adjacent to the garage is a back patio area where we set up food. I have trash and recycling bins everywhere.

It looks rather low-rent (because it is), but it has a great atmosphere. No TV during games, as it's too distracting and not good for generating friendships. But plenty of good music, nice cards, different chips for cash (weekly) and tourney (monthly), and, most importantly, great people. These shots are from a tournament day; usually there are couches and chairs and the like, with only one of the tables (covered) set up permanently. Cash games we usually have 16-20 people, tournaments usually 20-30. I've customized the display of my TD software and created graphics for my evites to match. I keep people updated weekly and write silly little post-tourney trip reports.

As discussed in another thread, I'm tired of not being able to take this place and upgrade it how I want, so I'm investigating expanding the game a bit and having it fund itself more reliably than basing it on my winnings.