View Single Post
Old 10-23-2007, 05:43 PM

Default Re: cbloom\'s log - Rippetoe & Frozen Shoulder

Well son of a bitch it's 6 months later and I haven't made much progress. For one thing I got really sick for a while, then partied like crazy for a while, then did a bunch of long bike riding which was really negative for my strength/weight gaining.

I thought I'd revive the log to write what I'm doing now. I'm restarting the Rippetoe, but with some modified routines to me more friendly to my shoulder. I think I was hurting it too much back then. I'm also trying to eat a lot more. I think a lot of why I'm not adding muscle faster is I'm not eating enough and not sleeping enough, so I'm trying to focus more on having 6 meals with lots of protein which is really really tough.

For the record, I'm 6'1" and weigh about 180 right now, dunno my BF% but it's very low. My goals are to get stronger cuz I'm hella weak right now and to rehab my shoulder and develop a lot of strength in shoulder girdle to prevent future injuries. I'd love to be able to play rugby again in 2008. First I need to be able to do ONE overhead squat.

So, my new modified Rippetoe looks like this :

A:
Front Squat
Incline dumbell bench
Chinups
Face pulls

B:
Deadlift (3x5 not 1x5)
Military press (dumbbell, neutral grip)
Seated cable row

+finish with a 1x100 and some hard ab exercise
+abs later in the day some days
+HIIT sprinting later on same days

Some of the extra shoulder work I do :

warm up the shoulder each day with the "thrower's ten"
serious stretching at least 3 times a week, focusing on hams, hips, chest & shoulder - trying to eliminate kyphosis and promote scapular retraction
myofacial release with a foam roller
scap retraction and scap circles
pushups "with a plus" and scap pushups
in-place lift ups on chair ("latissimus dorsi strengthening")
neutral plane lateral raises

Some other things I like but haven't found a place for in my routine :
Hindo pushups
Turkish getups
Power shrugs