View Single Post
Old 12-02-2007, 03:12 AM

Default Re: Tilt $300 6max: 88

I agree with everyone that, looking at just this hand, calling pre is no good because you don't have set odds, and position is useless because you're not deep enough to take advantage of it. You're going to be facing a flop with overs along with a c-bet most of the time, and have to fold.

In terms of optimal 6-handed strategy, if you're raise/folding with 88, that probably means that you're raise/folding such a significant % of you're opening range that it will be profitable to 3-bet you with ATC. To effectively counter a wide 3-betting range, you're going to have to significantly widen your 4-betting range. Against a typical aggro villain (which based on your description Villain in this hand may not be, since this is his first 3-bet of you), my instincts tell me that shoving pre here with 88 is going to be +cEV (and probably part of an equilibrium as well), but I'm too fried to do the math and work it out right now.

The potential problem here with shoving is that the stack sizes are awkward -- a natural 4-bet would be significantly less than a shove, but a natural 4-bet will put in more than 1/2 your stack. This gives the 3-bettors a huge advantage over the openers -- they risk only 15% of your stack against your entire stack.