Thread: TLDR Beer Club
View Single Post
Old 07-26-2007, 01:09 AM

Default Re: TLDR Beer Club

[ QUOTE ]

One thing I should note, though, is that the German Maibocks were in green bottles. These generally aren't as good to the beer as brown ones due to damage from light. It's not a big deal in the very short term, but I couldn't tell you when exactly they were bottled. If it was a long time ago, they might have deteriorated.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just as a note, skunking of beer (the reaction with isomerized hop acids with light that causes a beer to taste/smell like a skunk) can happen in minutes, particularly if the beer is in direct sunlight in a clear/green bottle. Age can have very little to do with it. Be very careful not to ever let beer sit out in the sunlight. Unfortunately, if you have a hoppy beer on a sunny day, your beer could be skunked before you finish drinking it.

If you enjoy Flying Dog, do yourself a huge favor and pick up a six pack of their Gonzo Imperial Porter. I am not a big fan of Flying Dog, but the Gonzo is one of the best beers I have ever had. This is compared to Stone Imperial Russian Stout, Bell's Expedition Stout, etc... Big company, but boy, does the Flying Dog Gonzo hold its own.