Thread: TLDR Beer Club
View Single Post
Old 07-25-2007, 08:32 PM

Default Re: TLDR Beer Club

When I was in Atlanta a few weeks back, I got to pick up a bunch of beers I can't get in TN. Among them is North Coast's Brother Thelonius Belgian ale.

I took the picture after I'd been drinking it a little while. It poured with about a 1/4"-1/2" thick light tan head that settled pretty quickly and didn't leave much lacing. Given kidcolin's review of the beer earlier, I thought it'd be a lot darker than it came out. Its a sort of chocolaty brown with maybe a bit of red/amber in there.

First sip is all malt and alcohol. The alcohol doesn't get in the way, really, but it is definitely present right away. I definitely can see what kidcolin was saying about the cherry flavor; for some reason, my first thought was "black cherry?" but its been so many years since I tasted any black cherry soda or something that I don't really know. I don't mind the sweetness as much as kidcolin seemed to. I don't think its as cloying as he seemed to taste it.

I do agree that the beer doesn't get much higher than "OK," though. On taste alone, I've had better beers, but I don't remember how much I paid for the bottle, so I can't really rate it against something like Maudite. I think the beer could actually really improve if well-matched with food, maybe a German Black Forest cake or something. Something with strong, sweat flavor, to help stand up to the booze and complement the fruity, malty sweetness.