View Single Post
Old 01-11-2007, 07:20 PM

Default Re: Waiting to show a good hand

[ QUOTE ]
Just read the FAQ and read something that surprised me. It called it a "slowroll" if you wait to show what you think is the winning hand on the river, and thus a breach of etiquette. Well first of all that's not what I call a slowroll - I think if it as thinking awhile before calling a river bet with the stone cold nuts. Or messing around with showing your hand when it's your turn to show.

But if you always show your cards first just because you might have the best hand, then how the heck do you ever get to see the other guy's cards? I thought you simply went by Robert's rules of poker. The last guy to make a move (bet or raise) was the first guy to show. If he's bluffing me, I want to see what he's bluffing me with. That's just the way poker is played. What's the scoop?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you just call the opponents bet and/or check behind, then you are probably pretty unsure as to whether you have the best hand at show down.

The only case that I can think of where it would be the opponents turn to show first AND you are sure you have the best hand would be if you went for a check-raise on the river and the house is using the last aggressor rule for showdown order. This should not come up very often so you are not losing much info if you show first when you have a monster in this situation.