View Single Post
Old 11-21-2007, 06:55 PM

Default Re: PETA documentary last night

[ QUOTE ]
A) I save my dog over a stranger. I believe. My point was that I can't know for sure.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll have to look up old threads on SMP that perhaps covers this when I get the chance (which may be never).

Anyway, despite being impressed with the recent works of Harris/Hitchens/Dawkins and even your Dad I think a person with a strong religious background would understand that saving the human takes priority. I'm genuinely curious what Sam Harris or Christopher Hitchens (who are both very obviously moral atheists) or some others would say (I think they woule agree).

[ QUOTE ]
But I do care more about my dog than a human I don't know. And my cats too.

[/ QUOTE ]

So do I and so would the vast majority of moral people (or immoral people for that matter), religious or not. But my question wasn't about "caring"; it was about being specifically in the position to save an unknown person right in front of you OR your pet when you can't do both and nobody else is around to do it.

That's different and IMO raises a significant moral point.

[ QUOTE ]
B) I will say penis whenever I want.

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too but I'm prudish enough to avoid saying it on a regular basis. Maybe it was more than saying the "P" word that got Abdul into trouble; my memory fades.

I do think my original question belongs here in a PETA thread since it gets to the heart of the matter; whether a human life is more important than a lower animal (that is your loved pet) in the case where you have to chose one over the other.

~ Rick