View Single Post
Old 10-28-2006, 07:00 PM

Default Re: Blood banks

[ QUOTE ]
Ok you take that month to decide on this issue. In that time the election will be over and Korea/China/Japan/EU will be making the stem cell discoveries and have a huge leg up on whenever the Moralistic States decide to get in the game. There is research going on right now in Asia and the longer it takes the US to start the more it will cost "American Science", which has of late been making "me too" cures to nonexistant and pointless afflictions. Restless leg syndrome anyone? How about "going often".

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think you understand my position. I'm pretty extreme/liberal when it comes to biomedical research. I'm a huge supporter of GATTACA style breeding. That is something very few people and probably no politician will support.

When it comes to ESC's I'm not convinced enough *yet* that massive leaps will occur by expanding beyond simply ASC research. I've been told by several people that tissue engineering is just way too far away for anything to happen on a reasonable time scale. Now stem cells are not a one trick pony but until I learn more I can't have a strong opinion on embryonic stem cells.

I'm more pissed at the media and their complete incompetence when it comes to informing the public about stem cell science. I'm going to send out some e-mails tonight and read some reviews so I can hopefully get to the bottom of this.

That being said, lets pretend I become a huge advocate of ESC's. That will in no way or shape change my opinion that if life begins at conception then we are performing something very similar to a lot of Nazi style experiments. Now I tend to believe life starts with brainwaves and the ability to feel pain/emotions so I don't consider this a huge deal. However, that doesn't mean a significant majority of the people on this planet disagree. I think we should be honest when we say we are killing people in labs to save the lives of others. But like others have already said, most of those were going to be killed anyway.