View Single Post
Old 11-24-2007, 09:26 AM

Default Re: need to find heroin detox in la

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think methadone might be the worst solution for this girl.

[/ QUOTE ]

Methadone is most definitely NOT the answer (unless the question is "What's the worst possible way to get off of heroin").

edit: Methadone withdrawal can take weeks (as opposed to a few days for heroin withdrawal). If someone is going to keep taking opiates forever, Methadone is the least destructive. If they are going to be coming off of opiates at some time, then Methadone is a terrible choice.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please, everyone should refrain from saying what it best or worst for this person. She needs to get to a treatment center and THEY will help her.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very well stated.

Methadone has been (perhaps rightfully) demonized. While the kick is longer when the time comes (I remember kicking an 80 mg maintenance habit after "tapering" down to 15 mg and being shocked that I was still just as sick on day twenty as I was on day ten), but it allows the junkie to function a HELL of a lot better and without the constant risk of arrest when they're an active opioid addict.

That said, I would never use Methadone if I were to wake up strung out again. My last (and FINAL) kick, I just got a case of Gatorade and a bunch of Klonodine, and locked myself away. Ten days, turned inside out, and sure, I felt like I had fallen down a flight of stairs, but I didn't feel, uh, that other way anymore.

Good luck with your friend.