View Single Post
Old 10-24-2007, 12:42 PM

Default Re: Pot the flop, or wait for turn?

I think I would have led out for the pot. You are more likely to take it down that way. Also, if it gets raised behind me, I'm happy to get it all in because it's probably not going to be multi-way, and I like your hand much better heads up than I do against 5 players. I am not looking to trap multiple players with a check-raise. This hand is too vulnerable.

An alternative is to check-call the flop and see if you get safe turn card. A problem with this is that, if a low hits, you could get free rolled by a better flush draw, higher straight draw, two pair, two spades (if the turn is a spade), etc. And you're probably not going to fold to a low turn that doesn't make a better high. Another problem is that by check-calling, you are not doing anything to improve your A-5 low. By leading, you could fold out naked A-3, A-4 hands, and then on a blank/counterfeit turn you could be in good shape to get rid of A-2s. And another problem is that there really are very few safe cards for you in a multi-way pot.

On first blush, Bet pot > check/call > check-raise, in my opinion.