Thread: Coping with ADD
View Single Post
Old 02-27-2007, 03:20 PM

Default Re: Coping with ADD

1) how do you keep from having your ADD interfere with your taking them, and
Pete - I tried Stratera at first about 2 years ago and didn't feel any effects other than a muted sex drive... then I found Adderall, I believe CaptZeebo has spoken of this drug before on here. I started out with a 5 or 10mg pill but it wasn't a timed release (XR) version. Now I get prescribed a 10mg Adderall XR prescription and take 1/2 of one each morning. It's like my coffee... at first I had the weight loss, dry mouth, speed effect. A year or so later it's just like a daily thing... it's the same as crystal meth which I was addicted to over 10 years ago... so I'm careful not to overdo it (partying on weekends, taking more than my prescribed dose, using them to wake up etc.)

2) what kinds have you found most effective for you? The type like wellbutrin or amphetamine salts (or to a lesser extent, slow-release ritalin) that try to keep you balanced, or the short release (4 hour) ritalin that basically gives you a boost to get through whatever you're doing?

From the poker side of things, if you are trying to lead a normal life in addition to your poker playing (job, kids, etc), do you find that poker brings out the best of your ADD or the worst of it? Live in girlfriend, full time job, 3.5 y/o son 1/2 time... ADD can be the best or the worst wrt poker. See other typical responses, I've gotten bored and played too high stakes b4, etc. but everyone plays better when winning and can focus better I don't think that's different with ADD peeps.

I'm interested in any and all tricks of the trade or helpful coping mechanisms you might employ.

Sometimes prior to a game, I just know that I'm not going to play my best, can't explain it, but when I know that I shouldn't play... I still do so I'm still learning! [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]