View Single Post
Old 01-19-2007, 04:17 PM

Default Re: China\'s anti-satellite test

[ QUOTE ]
I've never read Tom Clancy, but it stands to reason that it is a very plausible scenario. If anything, China has become more totalitarian in recent years, and China has had an imperialistic culture for thousands of years. Not that I don't like very much certain other aspects of Chinese culture, especially art and music. It is a rich culture, but it is also decidedly very strict and imperialistic. China is very patiently building up and modernizing with the eventual aim of winning a war with the USA, if that's what is required for China to become the world's largest hegemon.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure how you can argue that China has become more totalitarian in recent years, but that's beside the point. China is certainly a long-term threat to the peace and independence of the region of SE Asia, but I think it's a little far-fetched to worry about a Chinese thread to the US. Unless the Bering Land Bridge reemerges, their big army isn't going to be that useful.

I think this test is much more about showing off and playing to nationalist sentiment at home than shooting down GPS satellites and pulling off a second Pearl Harbor.