View Single Post
Old 10-18-2007, 04:18 PM

Location: coaching poker and writing \"Professional No-Limit Hold\'em\" for Two Plus Two Publishing with Matt Flynn and Ed Miller
Default Re: Professional No-Limit Hold \'em Volume 1 Review Thread

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
neither Sunny nor I vary from early or middle position in online games, although we sometimes use a dichotomous strategy of limp or raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Does this mean, that you vary your rise size to get the SPR you want only at late position? And use standard size raise at early/middle position (like 3BB or 4BB or whatever).

Is it to avoid overuse of the method so it would be more difficult to spot? (So use it in late position where it's more efficient, because you have more control and better view how the pot will develope.)

[/ QUOTE ]

I can only speak for myself, but for me it means I basically just adjust to the game. In certain games (particularly live games) I use SPR a LOT and plan hands around commitment a good deal - along with my other bag of tricks. Ditto for some online games (mostly full ring ones, or if I'm mega-multitabling with less than 100bb stacks). In other online games, particularly heads-up and shorthanded ones, I plan my hands around stealing quite a bit more. It does depend on the lineup though as well. However, one way or another I feel that being armed with stack-to-pot ratio knowledge/awareness is invaluable.