View Single Post
Old 10-05-2007, 02:46 PM

Default Re: One pair on a flushy board, somewhat deep

with an overpair or AJ or probably QJ here, I prefer to 3bet the flop. So much of his range is draws, whether strong or weak, and you really should make him pay. Plus, since you're oop, its going to be quite tough to play later streets when you still have stacks behind. Because the flop is so spread out, you can expect that he never has 2 pair here. So basically its 22, 77, or a hand you beat. Which means you're way ahead of his range, but you're vulnerable.

If you just call the flop with those strong hands, I'd lead the turn and call a shove. However, given that you called flop and checked turn, i'd c/rai the turn to punish him and keep him from seeing a free river. River, I don't know what I'd do with the big hands, because i'd never be in that spot. Which means you probably had A7 or TT.

So, what should we do with those? Well 3betting flop is still an option, though a rather uneasy one since we could be way way behind to any jack. Calling works because we're pretty likely to still have the best hand, though if he's aggressive with his semibluffs and is liable to follow through, we're almost always in a tough spot here whether we check or bet turn. We can't really justify stacking off, however, you have to wonder if he'd really keep firing this hard with TPgK all the way. The river bet size certainly doesn't look like JT or QJ, it looks like either a bluff that wants to represent backdoor trips, or actual backdoor trips/boat. Given how aggro he is, I think its more likely that he's repping it to capitalize on your seemingly weak hand range. So i'd probably call down with every hand in your range. But, i'm a station.

Also, fwiw, i've seen players before leave a little bit behind when bluffing so that if you shove they dont have to show their hand down.