Thread: TLDR Beer Club
View Single Post
Old 11-01-2007, 09:56 PM

Default Re: TLDR Beer Club

I tried a new brew from a new brewery tonight. On a whim, I picked up the Incubus tripel from the Sly Fox brewery based out of Roversford, PA. I've never tried anything from this place, or even heard of them, but I felt like doing something different. The tripel came in a 750 mL bottle that ran me $8.55. I wasn't thinking about it at the time I bought it, but this is more expensive than a bottle of Unibroue's La Fin Du Monde. Unfortunately, this probably means I'm setting myself up for disappointment. I'm not sure of the ABV of this beer.

The beer pours the usual yellow-gold with a decent head. It might be a slightly thinner head than is typical for this style. It's also surprisingly clear. There's some yeast sediment in the bottom of this beer, but not enough to cloud everything like most good tripels I've had.

While I'd been setting myself up for disappointment, the smell of this beer is pretty good. I smell the usual sweet fruitiness and some of the spice. The taste is a let-down, though. It's a little too syrupy, the malt has an unusual and unsavory taste I can't place, and the yeastiness and spiciness is lacking. On an absolute scale, this is roughly a [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img][img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img][img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] beer, but that doesn't mean it's not one of the worst tripels I've had to date. I'd advise anyone thinking about picking this one up to reach for the La Fin Du Monde instead -- it is cheaper and much better.