View Single Post
Old 06-27-2007, 06:26 PM

Default Re: Middle East in Flames: Part II

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Is the U.S. responsible for making the Iranian people suffer in this instance?

[/ QUOTE ]

nothing wrong with that IMO. after all gas is something different than food shortage in north korea. until it's not something people would die from directly i would support an embargo. maybe those protests might provoke a change of regime in next elections.

[/ QUOTE ]

The point is though that the people who suffer from sanctions aren't those that are in power and that the U.S. becomes a convenient target to direct hatred towards for imposing the hardships. Actually my understanding is that there's significant disatisfaction with the current extremist Islamic regime in Iran. Maybe sanctions are helping but don't know. Tend to think it's the repressive nature of the extremist Islamic regime rather than sanctions though.

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree, but in this case all top US officials are saying 'all options are opened' and the is a huge military in the region just waiting for a green light. nothing can be worse than another big war there and sanctions are one of better choices in this case. besides IMO only domestic protests can effectively change a regime. also, i really doubt there is a true shortage of gas there. i'd say they don't have any less oil available at the moment than in the past. i'd say it's more about a regime trying to make a huge oil reserves and be prepared on a real long term embargo or in case of war.

[/ QUOTE ]

FWIW I think it would be preferable to not implement sanctions than implement them and alienate Iranian citizens.