View Single Post
Old 11-26-2007, 01:19 AM

Default Re: chopsticks, fried rice, white people

scorpion,

[ QUOTE ]
You are in America. Eat with a freakin fork.

[/ QUOTE ]

are you a troll, or is this a level, or do you really believe this? if you do, i'm sad for you -- the range of human culture (including the different eating tools we've developed) is so fascinating. too bad you don't appreciate it.

some fraction and/or ordinal numberFalcon,

i have never used the toilet apparatus pictured, but i do know how to use it: drop, squat, and roll (approximately).

surprisingly large contingent of spoon-users,

wow, i had no idea. i can't recall ever being given a spoon at a chinese restaraunt that wasn't either a large serving spoon or a soup spoon presented with soup. actually i guess i've eaten dessert with a spoon (that mango custard stuff with condensed milk, e.g. mmmmmm.)

i again ask all of you: are you asking the waiter to bring you a spoon? are you using the serving spoon? failing a spoon, are you asking for a bowl to put the fried rice in?

el d,

i'm surprised you won't expend a little imagination on the scenario i've proposed. it's like a scene out of _better off dead_: exchange student comes down to breakfast, whitebread mom sets out chopsticks for exchange student, exchange student attempts to spear Cheerios like rings in a ring toss, hilarity ensues. this is but one of many examples; adsman posted another.

besides, doesn't it strike you as a little noteworthy that this give-white-guy-the-fork scenario is so common but complementary scenarios seem so unusual? i have been asked many times by waiters if this is my first time eating ethiopian food, but i've never been brought a fork nor have i been instructed in what to do with the injera[**].

[**] as a cosmopolitan bay area resident, i assume you are familiar with the ins and outs of ethiopian cuisine. on your side of the bay, i particularly enjoy Cafe Axum, though there is at least one restaraunt near the berkeley/oakland border that might be better. i am again open to recommendations if anyone has them -- especially for ethiopian places in vegas!