View Single Post
Old 11-15-2007, 07:34 PM

Default Re: Justified? Actually, I think so! (Not Blackwater Related)

[ QUOTE ]
I agree. Although, to be fair, neither of them died, but they shouldn't be charged with the injuries either.

I've had numerous discussions with both NARCs and TROs (Tactical Response Operators), who always seem to disagree on the issue of No Knock warrants. The Narc guys love these warrants, mostly because they don't know any better.

I'm unaware of the specifics of police training in Philly, but here in GA, detectives are minimally trained tactically, if at all. They have this mentality that "The offender will flush the narcotics before opening the door."

While that may be the case, the TROs have real tactical training, and realize how much danger you're putting yourself in anytime you execute a no knock.

No Knock warrants do have a place in LE, but the only time they should be used is to save a life, not for drug offenses.

If the police have reason to believe an individual is holding a kidnapped child hostage on a tip, but has no visual confirmation, that is the place for a No Knock. (In GA, you do not need a warrant to enter a property if you have confirmation that a kidnapped victim is inside)

I personally don't like the No Knocks, didn't use them much, but then again, when I was on the street, I had a Captain with a brain, so these types of things weren't of issue.

Our standing policy was "If you make the buy, you don't get to make the bust".

We also had a rule strictly forbidding any officer from wearing a mask while serving a warrant, unless it was approved by the brass.

The only time it was approved was in situations where we were dealing with an organization with enough muscle and intelligence to make retaliation a real possibility.

That's another issue I have. I haven't seen where it said they were or not, but I would be willing to bet these two were wearing masks. If you kick down my door wearing a mask, you're target #1.

[/ QUOTE ]

since you have experience, do you think the article was just sloppy and the two plain clothed officers served the warrant with like 10 other officers?

if the two were by themselves it seems fishy, I can't imagine just two of them served a no knock warrant on a crack house.