View Single Post
Old 10-09-2007, 07:44 PM

Default Re: ***yankees official offseason thread*****

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Also, Hughes has a floor of being a #2 pitcher. That's the worst-case scenario with the kid. His scouting grades look something like:

Fastball (93-95 mph) - 70
Curve - 75
Change - 60 (but improving)

That's insane talent. 75 is a dominant, dominant pitch, and a 70 is well above-average. The only examples of an 80 pitch I can think of are Pedro's changeup, Rick Ankiel's curve, and Bob Feller's fastball. Pitches that are outstanding but not true 80's would be something like Zumaya's fastball, Gagne's (even in his prime) fastball, Peavy's slider, Santana's changeup, and Bonderman's slider.

To get an 80 grade means the pitch is nearly unhittable.

[/ QUOTE ]

what would Mo's cutter(in his prime i.e 95MPH) get?

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably 75.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think a prime Mo cutter would be rated about 50% 75, 50% 80. I also think there are more 80 fastballs than you listed. 80 breaking stuff is pretty much unhittable, but with MLers every fastball is hittable in some respect, so the qualifier that pitch must be unhittable in order to be 80 is wrong IMO when dealing with fastballs. Zumaya has an 80 fastball, Neighborgall when he used to buzz 101 for Ga. Tech with electric movement was an 80 fastball (edit:but it played much lower due to his lack of command), Verlander is close. But I'm just being a nit.

Joba's slider on the "raw" scale would probably be a 70, but his feel for it probably makes it play up to a 75 like Kyle said.