View Single Post
Old 08-29-2007, 05:49 PM

Default Re: Professional No-Limit Hold \'em Study Group Day 1

[ QUOTE ]
SO in my example, if I had 1000$ before calling on the flop, 950$ after calling on flop, missed on the turn, then 875$ after calling on the turn, right?
So If I make exactly 132$ on the river, I will be up to 1007$. It seems to me that this is not a big profit overall after calling twice with odds of 4.75:1 each time [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Anyone can help me understand this concept please [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

OK.

Preflop: You are on the button w/ 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] in a $1/$2 game with a $200 stack. UTG has $200 also and raises to $8, you call the raise.

Flop: The pot is $16.50 and the flop comes A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. UTG bets $8.25 to make the pot $24.75 giving you 3:1 pot odds for your call and leaving $183.75 behind. You feel that it is very likely he holds an ace and is the type of player who can't let go of TPGK on all but the most blatantly threatening of boards. This means that you have very little fold equity, but great implied odds (especially if the eight falls). Calling $8.25 into a $24.75 pot with a draw that is 4.88:1 to hit on the turn we need to make $15.50 on either the turn or river to break even. You call and the pot is now $33.

Turn: The pot is $33 and the turn comes K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. UTG bets $16.50 leaving $167.25 behind. Here is where your question is answered: UTG's bet of $16.50 put enough money into the pot to make our call on the flop profitable. Now we no longer care about what size the pot was on the flop, we just care about the fact that the pot is now $49.50 and we are once again getting 3:1 to call. With 4.75:1 odds of making our flush on the river we need $28 to break even. You call.

River: The pot is $66 and the turn comes 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. Villain bets $33 and you raise to $165. UTG folds. You made $5 dollars over what was necessary to break even on the turn call.