View Single Post
Old 07-25-2007, 02:51 AM

Default Re: Property and water rights?

[ QUOTE ]
Sure I'll do my best. Dispute resolution/justice/arbitration in AC would be provided, like many other services, by private, competitive businesses. Keep in mind that I cannot predict market outcomes in advance and so the remainder is not complete, nor is it something I advocate in the sense of wanting to "implement" it, rather this is my speculation on how the market could possibly provide that service. Like someone in 1990 theorizing about what possibilities the internet offered.

So some people go into arbitration business and open their doors as a court. Their customers are people with some sort of dispute who want it resolved fairly and agree to abide by the court's decision. This means the court's business depends on their reputation for rendering fair judgments. Those that don't may find it difficult to attract customers to their kangaroo court.

How do we choose? depends on the nature of our dispute. If we have a contract with each other, we ought to have designated an arbirtrator in advance or not entered a contract. If we don't have that we have to find one we can both agree on. Failing that, a few things might happen: A coase theorem type solution (you won't go to court? Will you get off my lawn for $10?), a violent conflict, or option c: One or both of us goes to court alone to seek a judgment. If we get one from a reputable court then we may be able to enforce that judgment against the other party without fearing reprisal from his security forces. e.g. you get a judgment barring me from trespassing, you remove me from your property, I come back with my police company, you show them the judgment, and they tell me I'm out of luck, they won't back me up against a reputable judgment because they have a reputation too.

Maybe not the best quick description, there are others in the archives if you want to look for them.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a very good summation of what I've gathered about AC.

The cliffs version would be: If you and the agrieved person entered into a contract, then the contract will almost certainly stipulate what "House of Arbitration" the matter will be heard in.

My issues have always been with authority without the existance of a contract (i.e. the ol' "He's on my lawn so I shot him" issue).

Cody