View Single Post
Old 11-30-2007, 11:34 AM

Default Re: Argh property rights debate

[ QUOTE ]

1. The idea of Property is inherently in contradiction with itself

a. There was no property in the state of nature: property is a legal institution that differs from both possession and use.

b. The first owners converted common objects or potentially other-owned objects into personal property. They took objects in the use of all or to others and made them their own. This conversion without compensation of other community stakeholders is theft.

c. All property today derives from these first takings, or from intermediate conquests, murders, pillages, etc. (i.e. colonization of North America, Arabic conquest of the Byzantine Empire). As an aside, this is why in the U.S. no one “owns” any land free and clear but rather we are tenants holding a fief of the Sovereign (we pay rent in property taxes ldo).

d. Therefore all property is theft in theory and in fact. Thus there is no basis for the distinction between legitimate and illegitimate possession and use. But property simply is the distinction between legitmate and illegitimate posession and use. Contradiction Q.E.D.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd be interested in a serious AC'er addressing this "first taking" argument in the OP.