View Single Post
Old 11-29-2007, 12:30 AM

Default Re: 40/80, TT, what to do?

[ QUOTE ]
I don't like the raise against a smart TAG. They are always paranoid about allowing free card raises and often 3 bet. She could have AQs, AJs, or maybe KQs. Those are almost the only hands that smart players cold call with when no others have yet cold called. Call and fold unimproved on the turn. You don't want to invest lots of money here. If I were she, I'd either 3 bet you on the flop or call your raise and donk the turn. You are not getting a free card if I have any piece of the flop. Free card raises are for use against mediocre players and players who always go for the check raise on the turn. Against better players they are negative ev, just like Stox says in his book.

If you had a couple of other players who you may knock out with the raise then it may work okay. But you only have the UTG guy who may be going for a check raise. This is a toss up between a call and fold. With two opponents in for 3 bets each preflop and two broadway overs, it is usually a fold. Getting 10:1 with about 4.5 to 5 adjusted outs, it is worth investing one more small bet to see the turn.

Also, if she is semi-bluffing and gets two callers on the flop, you'll probably get a free card on the turn without a raise. Most people don't continue the semi-bluff on the turn, out of position, against two opponents.

[/ QUOTE ]

This was exactly the thought process I went through in the hand, and exactly how I played it.

I am UTG+2 with T T and three bet. All fold to UTG, who calls. UTG+1 also calls.

Flop:

8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

UTG checks, UTG+1 bets,
I call, UTG c/r, UTG+1 3 bets, I fold, UTG caps, UTG+1 calls.

Turn:

x

Bet, call

River:

y

Bet, call

Showdown: UTG has A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], UTG+1 has A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

I was surprised that Lee had a hand as weak as she did, considering all the action on either side of her, and that she had no redraw apart from (perhaps) a miracle queen. It did make me reevaluate her play; maybe in my previous sessions she just had good cards/good situations, or I never saw her face a really tough decision.

Thanks for the analysis, guys. I feel pretty good about my play in this hand. And Sucker, it was nice talking with you last night; good luck w/the book.