View Single Post
Old 10-27-2007, 01:13 PM

Default Do you think dogs get lonely?

Thinking a lot about dogs lately

I've been spending a lot of time thinking about dogs. I sort of want one. Course I seem to enjoy talking about it more than going out and getting an actual dog.

Several people at work have told me that it's wrong to get a dog if I can't give it enough attention. I don't know what they're getting at. These same people have dogs of their own and work the same number of hours I do. It's not like they're hanging out with their mutts all day long. So is it cruel to get a dog and leave it at home all day while I'm at work? Do they really get lonely or is it more boredom?

Should I go purebred?

The kind of breeds I'm debating (based mostly on their looks) are boxers, terriers and maybe even wirehaired pointers. Has anyone on here ever owned a wirehaired pointer? They look like this

- Do you think your dog gets lonely? If you could would you do it all over again and get a dog knowing what you know now?

- Do you think it's unethical to get a dog if you work a lot of hours each week? Say you are gone from your house for 10 hours every day?

- Is it wrong to leave your dog in a crate for 8-9 hrs every day?

Finally, (on a slightly different subject) - Is it wrong to get a puppy from a dog breeder? There's a dog fanatic at work who told me that our coworker should never have gotten a golden doodle from a breeder because it's unethical. Why are dog breeders unethical?