Thread: Ratholing NL08.
View Single Post
Old 10-09-2007, 01:05 PM

Default Re: Ratholing NL08.

[ QUOTE ]
Essentially, this is coin-flipping with some occaissional fold equity.

The pros: 1) you can make money quickly
2) you can sit with players that are MUCh better than you and still have a chance.
3) you pick up some higher stake antes on a lower stakes buy-in

CONS:
1) You can lose money really quickly
2) You aren't playing poker
3) If you are good, you are giving up the advantages of a large stack and winning big.
4) When people catch on you'll wind up getting the worst of it more often when you shove, AND picking up fewer antes.
5) Sitting out of good games or places where a big stack would be advantageous is hugely -EV.
6) People will rag you incessantly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pros:
1 - You can make quick money in any game. If you're looking for a quick +3bb to round off a number (like I know a lot of people do), this is probably the easiest way to do it.

2 - Good players are usually good players that play big stack poker. I don't think many know how to adjust to shortstackers at this point of time.

3 - Dead money is more important than fold equity imo. 5 limpers and i'm shoving almost any 4.

Cons

1 - Yup. Very tilt inducing as well.

2 - I disagree. Surely you can't say the same thing about the pros that play 500/1000 with 30bb cap?

3 - I'm iffy on this one. I definitely do think that you get more action as a shortstack and even more so if you develop a big stack after being a shortstack.

4 - In my experiences, people still have no clue how to adjust properly via range vs. range method. If they adjust, i think it's easier for the shortstack to adjust again and get paid on premium hands.

5 - Just because you buyin for a shortstack doesn't mean you don't have the option of buying in full if you think it's that great of a game. Often times I will double up and then reload to the max because I think that 100BB's > 40bb's at that game.

6 - Meh. I've given up on 'Poker Ethics'. I no longer care about hit and runs (as long as you don't give your word to commit) whether it's from my opponent or if it's myself. I've received many death threats already, and most of them just make me laugh.