View Single Post
Old 11-05-2007, 11:21 AM

Default Re: 25/50NL HU >300BB Deep Tough River Spot

[ QUOTE ]
Well let's try to solve this with logic:
-You perceive him as a good player
-he might be bluffing here, definately not impressed by big number and/or deepish stacksizes
-he is solid -> wouldn't turn most hands with showdownvalue into bluffs for no apparent reasons and doesn't start weird plays on various streets.

Would he 3bet pf with hands such as 55-99 ? IP 100% this deep I guess but he is OOP here, so would he just call 55 or 66 ?
If he is solid deepish I would expect him to 3bet 99-55 and even hands such as 65s (96s).
After the given flop action and the huge river c/r I think it's fair to assume that his range is strongly polarised towards boat/bluff.
A flush doesn't make much sense with the given action, why would he overplay it that strongly, no hands that he has beat will call here all too often but most boats cannot fold in that spot..
I think it's fair to conclude he doesn't have a flush here all that often, neither a bare 6.
A straight with 78 is very unrealistically as well, it's quite bad to call the flop this deepish OOP if he could just jam and get it in with good equity and lots of dead monies.
Guess the key to this hand is how balanced his PF play is and if you ever saw him mixing it up pf this deepish.
If he is somewhat solid and straightforward pf then the chance of him showing up with AA is zero, 99, 66 and even 55 aren't really within that range. The way the hand played out there is a good chance this could be 56s but he only called pf while most normal regs would raise there.
Imho 96s seems to be the most likely holding which leaves us with a wide wide range of bluffs and only 1 real boat that he should have here.
He could be worried that his Twopair isn't good anymore on the flop and if he 4bets you, he would fold out worse hands and only get action by better ones (except for combodraws). So he calls the flop with the intention to see what the turn brings, then tries to c/r the turn, fails and with the given board gives it another try on the river.
My feeling is that he either has a boat with 2pair (wish is doubtful) or nothing /something realising he is beat, turning into a bluff.
The better he is and the more you would give him credit in that spot and fold flushs out, the more you should consider calling a certain amount of the time.
I really hate this spot because I can only estimate how he plays PF with these hands.
If you know his ranges and it doesn't make much sense I would call, otherwise just let it go and wait for a better spot /w more reads.
I like this hand cuz the board only leaves very few combinations and none of them really makes much sense imho. Definately need a good read here...

[/ QUOTE ]

You make a lot of unwarranted assumptions in this post.

The only other thing I think is worth mentioning is that he is almost never making the river c/r w/ a hand weaker than mine (maybe 10% of the time) if it is indeed for value, so polarizing his range here is fine.