View Single Post
Old 12-23-2006, 06:02 PM

Default Re: 50k Challenge reopened with higher stakes

[ QUOTE ]
A group of a couple hundred cells to be giving the same rights and consideration as a human. It is claimed that we should respect the religous view over the scientific view.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm against growing embryos for research, and I'm an atheist. Science has no opinion on what is and isn't human life.

[ QUOTE ]
To allow the church to proclaim that condom use in Africa is unethical, is nothing short of criminal genocide.

[/ QUOTE ]
I disagree. Certainly it's highly irresponsible, and selfish (the cynical would say that they like breeding because it creates more Catholics), but if Africans are stupid enough to believe in the comical religions of their former white oppressors, then they deserve everything they get.

[ QUOTE ]
everytime we allow those who hold positions arrived at thru means other than reason to speak with the same authority as the scientific community.

[/ QUOTE ]
What authority does the scientific community have to speak on the human condition? No more than any other.

[ QUOTE ]
The wager that we make when we allow those who hold faith over reason to continue unabashed in their evanglizing, preaching, and manipualtion of realty is only slighty better defined, I hope.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree with this, up to a point. The wasted lives of people like BluffTHIS, and otherwise intelligent individuals who suffer from the ills of childhood introdoctrination and limited awareness, are one reason to fight harder against religion. Personality flaws + strong childhood indoctrination + social reinforcement means that these people never stand a chance. I agree we should be more vocal for their sakes.