View Single Post
Old 10-15-2007, 12:41 AM

Default Re: Australian Election - 24 November

Minutes ago, Howard & Costello announced big tax cuts. That'll be one of the defining topics of the campaign, I imagine.

[ QUOTE ]
I meant specifically with regard to climate change. Both sides seem to me to be making lots of long term undertakings without any real plan as to how it will come about. I doubt either party is going to be advocating drastic change through fear of being labelled extremist a la Brown.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not aware of the Coalition making any long-term undertakings off the top of my head - apart from introducing carbon emissions trading in the next term.

The problem with the 50% reduction by 2050 claims (such as Rudd + Garrett's) is that there's no research of how to do this (especially if you exclude nuclear power from the equation)

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not really for or against privatisation, although I dont yet accept the arguments of the "privatisation leads to lower cost" proponents as it doesnt match my experience.[/quot]

Simple example: 20 years ago, it cost 25c for a local phone call. How much does it cost these days? (20c?) Account for inflation, and that's a huge price reduction.