View Single Post
Old 08-04-2007, 12:41 AM

Default Re: quantum mechanics- is the world not what we think it is?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
...it's not going to do much for everyday people but push them away from science because of how non-intuitive it is.

[/ QUOTE ]

So, your theory is that the unexplained mysteries of science actually push people away from science? You seem to have little grasp of what makes a good scientist. If everything was black and white and explained all nice an tidy, there would be no need to keep probing the frontiers of the unknown.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't care what makes a good scientist, that's not what I was talking about. When scientists try to explain things that are so outside Joe Six-packs day to day understanding of how things work most of the time that doesn't drive Joe to expand the boundaries of his perception or understanding of the world around him. Usually, it just makes him change the channel to boobies.

I'm all for expanding science teaching in the schools and trying to make science exciting to get more kids involved in it, but I'm not naive enough to think that telling people spooky action at a distance is real but baby Jeebus isn't does anything to make people like science more.