View Single Post
Old 11-08-2006, 03:21 PM

Default A bluff I don\'t understand.... stakes irrelevant/ Stud High.

So, in my short (read SHORT) Stud carreer, have seen this and similar situations come up.

Player A Shows xx5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] x

Player B Shows xx 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] x

Clearly, Player B has a made flush. Player A kindly bets into Player B and player be looks frusterated, asks player A if he sees this?, flashes a spade and tosses them into the muck.

Of coarse, Player A feeling brilliant for bluffing off his opponent, shows that he only had two pair. Player B gets visibly upset. "Nice hand."

Now, I don't know, but at this point in my (very) short Stud High carreer, I am not able to see the point of this fold. I know that it is a good idea to rep more strength than you actually have, but I am really trying to figure out:

1- Is it good play to always use this "classic" bluff from a game theory stand point? Seeming that everyone should be aware of this, I can't see any reasonable opponent folding in these kind of spots.

2- Using game theory for calling frequency, is it ever a good idea to make this kind of fold, supposing a not too large pot?

Of coarse, I am also looking to know the psychological (non- theory) merit of this play.