View Single Post
Old 11-09-2007, 09:15 PM

Default Re: surfdoc is in the well

[ QUOTE ]
Cool. I was just wondering when someone would do a well. Gracias Doc. Here are a few to get ya started:

1. How long have you been playing?

2. Do you mostly play live, online or both?

3. What limits do you currently play at?

4. What is your opinion of having a poker coach(if you have one at all that is)?

5. What do you consider your best game?

6. List a few obvious mistakes that you see live LHE players make on a regular basis

7. If you are actually a real doctor, what do you specialize in?

[/ QUOTE ]

1. I have been playing seriously for about 5 years. I played a bunch of home game crap with friends berfore that but I don't really consider anything before I read theory of poker and HEFAP.

2. I play more online because of a busy family and work schedule but mix in as many live days as I can. I wish it were more but since my wife fired the nanny it is now harder to get out of the house at night.

3. I am one of the biggest limit jumpers you will find. I try to play what I call "fish based poker." This means I move around a lot if I can find a great game with one or more guys burning up chips. I have a fairly risk averse personality which has a lot to do with my real job and training so I tend be more of the grinder type than the guy who pushes up the second the roll reaches 500 bets or whatever. Online I play mostly in the 10/20-30/60 range but occasionally go higher and lower. Live I play 40/80 and 60/120 mainly at the commerce with an occasional shot into the 1/2.

4. I think that poker coaching can be extremely helpful. I have been coached by and coached many players. Luckily I have a core group of friends that are always sharing ideas and discussing hands which is a tremendous help. My aim list is filled with good 2p2ers and we all help each other out.

5. Limit holdem is really my only game. I have a basic understanding with NL but getting good at one game has always been my priority. It turns out this is taking longer than I thought. NL bores me to some extent so it has been hard to spend time developing my NL game.

6. Live players make so many mistakes it is silly. The more common ones are calling raises with dominated hands, chasing with inadequeate odds, and paying off when they are obviously beat. There are so many mistakes it would take an hour to type it up. In general there is just a complete lack of understanding of the game. Most casual players and even a lot of "pros" don't study the game and end up making the same mistakes over and over. Most people are either lazy, unitelligent or both. This is the basis by which we make money with poker. The information is right there but people just don't reach out and grasp it. It is pretty sick since there is so much money involved.

7. Yes, I am an actual doctor. I am board certified in and currently practicing Emergency Medicine. This is a pretty good field for me since I can work as many or as few hours as I want. I am out of residency about 9 years now. Having this job and steady income is great to keep me balanced and growing a bankroll is obviously a little easier. In a way it holds me back a bit as I touched on above with shot taking and climbing up in limits. The main issue stems from how many years of school and training it took, as well as what I have to go through at the hospital in a shift to make 1500 dollars or whatever I make. Coming home and buring through 5k in a bad night at the tables is a pretty trying experience. Many of the younger kids won't get this but the guys who have punched a clock or held a tough job for a while will.