View Single Post
Old 09-20-2007, 05:24 PM

Default Re: Questions on buying Toyotas/Potential Car Salesman Shenanigans

this sparks a question i have about a friend of mine who bought a car last month. he decided on the car and arranged for financing through his bank. when it was time to do the paperwork it was discovered there was no title. he was in love w/ the car and they sold it to him w/out the title telling him theyd get it for him w/in 3 weeks.

doing it this way his bank wouldnt finance w/out the title so he had to finance through the dealer w/ what he calls a dummy loan.

he says the dealer loan is only good until the title is found and he has verbally been told he wont pay any interest on this dummy loan which has a much higher interest rate than his bank loan. once the title is found his bank loan will take effect. it's been about 6 weeks now and there is no title found yet. i advised him repeatedly not to do this but he fell in love w/ the car and had to have it.

my question: wtf?

what happens if the title is never found? the flip side of that is he's set himself up so they can find it next week, give him the title and tell him he's stuck w/ the dealer loan. anyone have any experience in a situation like this?